Saturday, October 31, 2015

Lifetimes

I don't know who actually reads this. I'm not sure anyone except for a computer somewhere does, and even then I don't think it actually reads it. I write mainly because I have a lot to say and a lot on my mind but don't want to waste anyone's time by telling them everything on my mind; I talk enough as it is.

When I look back on my life, I've had a lot going on. I've seen a lot of things, experienced a lot (both good and bad) and have had a great deal of both excitement and disappointment. But when I look back, it can often feel like lifetimes have passed since event-x happened. This week has definitely been one of those times.

I lived in the same place for 26 years. Moved around in two cities specifically, changed addresses, moved out on my own, etc. But I never moved away. Until one day I decided enough was enough and got the heck out of dodge. That was only four months ago.

I finally got the chance to go back and visit this last week. I think in the back of my mind I expected that I was the exact same person that left and that of course, everyone else had stayed the same and nothing back home had changed. Time had stopped in a preverbal freeze and I'd walk off the plane and jump right back into my old life - just to visit, of course.

Even on the first day I felt the change. What were once friendly interactions and exchanges between close friends almost felt awkward, even conversing with my parents seemed strained to an extent - not because we weren't getting along, but because we didn't know how to act around each other. There were literally only two people that I fell back into the swing of things with and felt truly at home. The rest of the week, I felt like a stranger in another persons body.

I've felt this at other points of my life, normally after something traumatic. It was only fourteen years that I lost my mom, but maybe because I was so young, it feels like a lifetime ago. I have no clue who that twelve year old was because she was a completely different person than I am sitting here writing this today. High school....man, high school feels like both yesterday and also (yep, you guessed it) a lifetime ago.

I don't know how to explain this feeling if you haven't felt it. It's like the movie "Freaky Friday" I guess. It's like I woke up when I got off the plane and was a completely different person that left just four months ago. It hasn't even been a year! A year ago I was just trying to figure out how to finish school. And then here I am now, living a thousand miles away from where I grew up...and I feel like I've changed completely without even realizing it or planning on it. It just happens I guess.

We as humans have one lifetime to live. Years may seem like lifetimes, or they may seem like the blink of an eye as well. But I hope at the end of our actual lifetime we can look back on all the "lives" we've lived, or personas we've acquired and can see the good in it.

No comments: