Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New Chapters and New Beginnings

As I've written lately, I've been going through a HUGE state of transition lately. This week, I close the chapter I've never thought I'd have to and begin one I never thought I would; my job. I've voiced my frustration about my life at my job a few times, and even my few triumphs. But I feel like I've been earmarking this chapter, and just staying there for a long time; it has been safe, it has been predictable, and it has been stable. But it is finally time to move on. It is once again time to "let go and let God."

A few months ago, we completely switched our way of doing things and the shift manager role. Our responsibilities were doubled while our time was cut in half. It was awful. I immediately started looking for a new job. Nothing popped up after looking for a couple of weeks, and I reluctantly (yet, with an ironic state of relief) decided that I was supposed to stay there for whatever reason. I remember telling my coworker that if I were meant to change jobs, God would unmistakably show me.

Fast forward to last month. I was at my old place of employment, Bath and Body Works. I worked here alongside of my current job for three years (with about a four month gap in the mix) until this last March when I had to "permanently" leave due to scheduling conflicts with my job. I was just in buying candles and soaps, and my old boss and a couple of other old coworkers asked about work. I voiced a little of my frustrations with my position, my development and the company as a whole. I was informed that there were some job positions open in the company, and that if I were interested, I could get in contact with the district manager and set up an interview. My attitude at the time was more of a "sure, why not try."

I talked it over with my best friend and we laid out a pro/con list. It was very evident that financially this could be a huge risk, but in the long term, it could be a great possibility for me. I then prayed about it, and realized that God had opened a door for me, in a place where so many seemed barred shut in my "safe" place. I had a way out.

I let my manager at my job know I had an interview, had the interview and was offered a job the next day. Talk about providence.

This is a huge step for me. With the exception of a year after high school, This job has been all I've known. I've spent my entire adult at that company. This company has seen me through hearth-ache, all my college years, moving out, moving back in, moving out again and staying independent. It has seen me through sickness and health, times of hope and times of despair. It's also caused a lot of those. But ultimately, it has been a fantastic company to work for. And a wonderful chapter of my life.

But it is time to let it go, and see what else is out there.

It's scary to think that in four days, I will no longer be a barista. I will no longer hear the drone of the drive through "ding", the "I need a caramel Frappucchino", and the "Oh, I ordered that iced." But I also won't hear the "you guys make my morning every day!" And the regular customers that we see every day that seem absent when on vacation. Or the customer we all love that gets sick and we miss seeing them. Or the customer that treats us like her own children and brings us snacks on the dreaded Black Friday overnight shift. No more regulars, no more modifiers, and no more authentic (and some not so authentic) customer connections. But I also won't smell like old coffee, my car won't smell like old milk, and I won't have to constantly be investing in slip resistant work shoes. There are so many good and bad things about working for a company such as the one I've called home for so many years. To say I've loved every minute would be a lie, but I have certainly had some good moments, some growing moments, and some unforgettable memories. I've made friends - some that stuck, and some that didn't- and even had some life changing experiences (such as getting plugged into my current church at just the right moment.)

As one chapter ends, another begins. Two roads diverged, and I took the one less taken. When God closes a door, he opens a window. Put whatever label or cliché fits. The bottom line is that it has been a wonderful chapter, and God knows what comes next.

"'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and future."

No comments: