Monday, April 16, 2012

Inspiration From Above

I just finished a book study at my church called Sun Stand Still. The book was mainly about having faith to fulfill your wildest God-sent dream, otherwise known as a "Page 23 Vision" or a "Sun Stand Still prayer." At the beginning of the book, I was a having a very hard time finding anything that was even remotely close to what this could mean. I haven't been very straight and narrow the last year, so why should I think God doesn't want to start form square one with me again? It would take a lot more faith than what I had to do anything as great as Steven talked about in the book.

But that's where I was wrong. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a friend after the study and we started talking. I was telling her about something I used to do, something that was my way of serving our local mission field. I've always been passionate about local missions, serving the local community, and helping those who are around us every day, whether we know them or not. I started telling her about an abandoned project I had once, and told her I had to let the vision die because no one had wanted to be part of it. To my utmost surprise, she showed a ton of interest! She got instantly excited about it, and told me that she had been wanting to learn how to do this, and that she would love to learn as soon as she and I were both done with this semester so we would have time. Of course I was excited, and to my surprise again, another one of our friends heard us talking about it and showed her interest as well! I couldn't believe it, but I figured it would just be a casual thing and we would learn and that would be that. But then my friend started sending me texts about how she couldn't wait to do this thing once we had time!

This small interaction between us got me thinking though; what if this is my Page 23 vision? I had this vision four years ago, but it never went anywhere permanently. But I felt so incredibly called to it back then, and I still feel called to it, so why not start trying to do it again?

So that leads me to tonight. Over the past week, I've been praying about it and looking to God for the answers, and I think my Page 23 vision is this: To start Bundles of Hope again. For those of you who don't know what that is, well, go to the site and read about it! In a nutshell, I learned how to knit hats on a loom about 5 years ago. Over the next year, I began to see that I could in fact use this skill as a tool to serve God. One fateful night, I happened to mention this to my friend, and she immediately turned around and introduced me to the person who would help me make my vision a reality. Over the next couple of months, friends of mine from my church and a few other people here and there made over 380 hats to give to the homeless and less fortunate. About a year ago, I had to give up on it. No one wanted to participate really, and in reality, I was neither in spirit or had the time to head it up anymore.

I still feel the calling to pursue this as strongly as I did four years ago when I started this. I don't know what will happen, who will join, or how many people we will reach. But I do know that, for now, this is my Page 23 vision; to continue Bundles of Hope and have total faith in God that he will bless it and prosper it if he so chooses.

If you want to check it out, the website is: bundlesofhope.blogspot.com

No comments: